Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Abstract--Final Proposal

I'm writing this paper in order to address the different effects that result after a woman is diagnosed with breast cancer.  My purpose for writing this is to inform others on the many ways that breast cancer can affect not only the patient but also the relatives that are close to the patient.  I will be looking at different sources that talk about the various ways that breast cancer affects the patient and the close relatives.  Some of these sources were based off of studies that were done to prove that certain effects are present in breast cancer patients and their families.  In order to make this more of a narrative, I'm going to interview my grandma.  My grandma is a breast cancer survivor so I'm going to use the research that I found in order to show that breast cancer does truly affect all aspects of a person's life.  By comparing my grandma's life as a result of breast cancer to the various sources and research that I found, I'm going to find that my grandma is very similar to the different studies that were done to show the many effects that breast cancer has on the patient and their family.  While I find that she relates to many of the sources that I found, she might also differ from them in that she hasn't been affected by breast cancer in all of the ways that the studies have shown.  I'm going to end my paper by talking about how the effects of breast cancer cause other problems for the patient and their family, which causes a domino effect that will end up affecting almost every aspect of their lives.

2 comments:

  1. Haley, I really like your idea of taking your paper from a narrative stand point. You sort of stated that you wanted to a compare and contrast. I think it would be cool if you compared research that you do on other stories to your grandma’s story. It looks like towards the end of your paper you want to start going from more of an informative stance. This would be very interesting to me, and I'm sure others that don't have a good background on how cancer can affect a family. It might also be a good idea to start your paper with background and basic info on cancer just for a basis to lay out your paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really easy to kind of bounce our ideas back and forth with eachother because we kind of have the same topic. Maybe at the start of your paper talk about breast cancer and start with more of a research stance to inform the reader what they are gonna expect and so they have some knowledge about what your talking about. Then maybe go into your grandmas story and share it with the readers. By then the readers can be like yes this and this makes sense. I know what that means and what not haha. And at the closing part of your paper you could go from more of a compare contrast stance between your grandmas thoughts and opinions and the research part of the the whole topic. Look closely in the beginning on articles about the impact of breast cancer on patients and their family members. You could compare the research you find throughout articles with research you get from your grandma on the effects. I'm interested to see how your essay goes! (:

    ReplyDelete