Monday, April 28, 2014

Research Paper RD Proposal

I'm going to write my research paper on breast cancer and the different ways that it affects the patient as well as the patient's family.  Since my grandma had breast cancer, I was thinking of interviewing her in order to find out her take on the way that it affected her as a cancer patient.  I was also thinking of interviewing another person whose mom has breast cancer, but she is currently working through treatments at the moment so I think it might be too hard for her to talk about the subject.  I would approach this as both a narrative and a cause and effect paper.  I would talk about people's experiences with coping through the hardships that come with cancer in order to make this partly narrative.  In order to make it a cause and effect paper, I would talk about the different effects that occur as a result of a person getting breast cancer.   I would talk about the physical, emotional, and social effects that occur as a result of having cancer.  I would not only talk about the ways that breast cancer affects the patient, but I would also talk about the ways that it affects the family as well.  I would tie all of the different effects caused by breast cancer together in the end to show that a person being diagnosed with breast cancer causes a chain reaction in which it affects the patient and the family as well and it affects almost all of the aspect's in each person's life. 

3 comments:

  1. For this research paper we have pretty close topics. I am using the same topic as my ted talk. I'm going to talk about the cause and effect of Leukemia on my cousin. My research paper will also be partly narrative by including the story about my cousin. I think I'm gonna interview my uncle the dad of the fighter and my grandma. My uncle would be able to tell me how it particularly affected Hannah, how it affect each of her tie other siblings, how it affected her parents and other family members. I might interview my mom because she was a nurse and knew a lot about it when she first got told she had it. And she knows how it affected her in particular and a lot of the family members too. In mine I'm gonna add some introduction of what it is, how people get it, how you get tested for it. maybe you could add that into yours. Just so the reader gets a feel of what it is and how it comes along. I like how your going to interview your grandma, the winner Through out the awful battle! Maybe you could interview a family member who lived with her while she was fighting this serious disease to see how it affect them and the family atmosphere. Then you could see more on how it affected not only the fighter but the family fighters also. Your paper will be interesting to read because I am in the situation currently. Looking forward to that! Good job Haley! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea of how Cancer can affect the family dynamics is something similar to what I am going to talk about. I plan on talking about OCD and the effects it has on the family as well as the person diagnosed so our ideas are similar. As well as both talking about family dynamics I too want to go the narrative route with my paper. Since you know the subject who has suffered from cancer it makes you more passionate to talk about so I like the narrative idea very much. If the subject didn't interest you at all I feel like the paper would be less interesting but, it sounds like you picked something you are very interested in and I am sure you will come up with a great paper:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The scariest thing about breast cancer is just how genetic it is - if one member of the family has it, all of her offspring have that chance, and all of their offspring hold that genetic marker as well. How does that fear inform daily life?

    you hit on a really great idea within that as well when you focus on social effects - think of the false stigmas created by breast cancer. There are a ton of breast cancer awareness groups, and the bulk of them operate under a very sexist beginning point.

    ReplyDelete